Welcome to Year 6!
Mrs Drummond, Mr Burns, Mrs Kemble and Mrs McGrath are your teachers.
Things to remember
Reading & Homework:We expect children to read at least five times a week and complete any homework they are given. This will include Mathletics homework, which you can access from the link on our home page. If you are struggling to find a reading book that suits you, don’t hesitate to ask us and let us know – we’re happy to help you choose.
PE: Our PE days are on Tuesday and Friday and children need to bring the appropriate kit.For indoor PE this is a pair of black shorts and a plain white t-shirt. For outdoor PE they will need a pair of tracksuit / jogging trousers, a plain t-shirt and a plain sweatshirt / hoodie. As the weather improves, they will wear shorts and t-shirt outside.
Trips: We have trips regularly throughout the year. Please make sure you bring in letters and pay for your trips as soon as possible throughout the year.
We will be using History and Geography topics to give us knowledge and understanding that we can use in our English writing throughout the year. We will be writing stories, persuasive letters, newspaper reports, diaries, descriptive narratives and many, many other text types!
In Maths we will be following our Power Maths workbooks and working through the national curriculum as we draw nearer to SATs. Every week we will have two Arithmetic lessons, where we will focus on key skills and do a low stakes test to improve our speed.
Our History topics this year are:
- World War One, in which we will study the causes, life in the trenches and the home front;
- World War Two, in which we will look at the rise of fascism, causes, warfare and propaganda;
- Maya Civilisation, in which we will discover how this ancient civilisation is still going today and has influenced us far more than you think;
- The 1960s, where we will investigate the rise of the teenager and the impact of pop-culture.
Our Geography Topics this year are:
- Rivers, where we will attempt to understand the impact that these natural land features have on our lives;
- The U.S.A, in which we will try and make sense of an amazing country and all its incredible physical and human features.
Other Curriculum Subjects
We will do many other subjects in Year 6, such as Music, Art, D&T and MFL, which we will update you on throughout the year.
We have trips regularly throughout the year. Please make sure you bring in letters and pay for your trips as soon as possible throughout the year.